THE JOY OF THE LORD

photo credit:  getty image


When the clap stops and the light fades away and you are left with your thumping heart beating you finally realize that it was just bright lights and empty dreams you've been chasing all along. Sadly, this is the story of a lot more people today… I listened to a young man yesterday addressing the kids at a valedictory ceremony, he spoke with so much zest and I could connect to the passion that was driving him. He said; ‘no dream is too big or too small and never let your finances or your family’s background decide your future’- it was a kid’s ceremony but I went with an open heart to learn and I did learn a lot. Now, this young man was the first African to establish one of the largest NGO’s in Europe and also the youngest African to have spoken at a United Nation congress- a Nigerian! I listened to the young man keenly and His deep reverence for God and a great sense of humility was absolutely riveting, he has chosen to live a life that brings smiles to the face of individuals around the globe and I just thought to myself- this is a life worth living. This brings me back to my introducing text; bright light and empty dreams…


For those who can relate with this you would agree with me that real joy and satisfaction comes from putting a smile on the face of that individual, or just that stranger, even a family member, a baby and even your antagonist. Before I show you my bible text, I want you to know that real beauty in life lurks within and you can only begin to enjoy yours when you help others discover and appreciate theirs…


I've come to that point in my life when I can boldly say that real beauty in life is not in the tinsel or fast cars or big houses but it lies in the little hearts you have lit-up. As humans, most times we tend to look for epochal events before we bless God or carry an attitude of thanksgiving. Do you know why God asked us to always carry an attitude of thanksgiving?!  Because He is always on the move working things out in our lives even when you can’t see it or don’t want to. Waking up to a morning and hearing a baby cry is God working, having a family who consciously carry you in their heart with love, that’s God working, hearing your kids throw tantrum that’s God working my friend! I am sure you are beginning to see things from my lens. God has been the greatest and most doting father…


I read a book by Jack Hayford titled ‘rebuilding the new you’; it talked about how the Holy Spirit helps rebuild man when we give ourselves over to God. The story of Nehemiah was used to drive a picturesque view- how he wept on hearing that his land had become desolate and the walls and gate had been ripped apart ‘and it came to pass when I heard these things, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven’ (Neh 1:4).


The real gist behind Nehemiah’s story that’s in Nexus with this piece is this; Nehemiah lived in a foreign land, he was doing pretty well for himself, he lived in the palace and served as a cup bearer to king Artaxerxes but on hearing the news of his country he was broken & he did not just stop there he went on days praying and fasting for his home country from the text we read above (Neh 1:4). You know, when I first looked at this story I just thought to myself what was propelling Nehemiah?! He was doing pretty well for himself in a foreign land and he even had access to the king anytime which was a pretty big deal. So why bother?! But you know what our friend here decided to do? ‘O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant (Nehemiah) and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him (Nehemiah) favor in the sight of this man (king Artaxerxes). For I (Nehemiah) was the king’s cup bearer (Neh 1:11). Nehemiah prayed! If you go further, God granted him so much favor, he was even given materials to help start up the rebuilding project…


What was the kernel in that story?


Couple of weeks back I attended one of the fellowships on campus with my friend and while church was going on the pastor said ‘you are an answer to somebody’s prayer’ and as ordinary as that may sound to you I had an epiphany; I saw myself smiling all through the service and when church was over it felt like I had a sugar rush- I was so ecstatic, I have always prayed and read my bible and I’ve heard these things but on hearing it that day it felt so different, it was just God talking to me. I could just hear Him say; ‘Itofa, you are an answer to somebody’s prayer’. It changed everything for me; I am completely a brand new man just walking in this light…


I remember couple of years ago in the teens church one of my lovely aunties was teaching us and she said something that ministered to my spirit and I probably won’t forget it in a very long time, she said; ‘imagine a world where everyone is trying to outlive the other in doing good…’ can you imagine what life would be like?! Absolutely beautiful but it starts with us to make it happen; I have resolved to keep working at it.


So, to my wonderful reader who has taken time to come up here; ‘Do you know you are an answer to somebody’s prayer?’ think about it… it’s no longer about what folks can do for you or give to you but what you can do for them, remember you are an answer to somebody’s prayer!


God bless you!



💕

Comments

  1. enwwrem samuel A.3 August 2017 at 01:51

    Thanks on this. God bless you real good. More Oil in your jar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Itofa, I never ever thought if it like this and I love it. "I am an answer to someone's prayer". I am so fortunate that people do pray for me.

    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Itofa, Carl. God bless you, its been a while I saw you here. Most certainly we are answers, it changed everything from me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, yeah it has been awhile. Take care!

      Delete
  3. Hmm very beautiful and enlightening. “I’m actually an answer to someone’s prayer”! Thanks for this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by the blog Bolu!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Tables

THE CHURCH

REFLECTION